January Reflections
I had good intentions for this
year. I was going to get up early, do
yoga, meditate and write every day. Days
would be interspersed with long walks, the preparation of big, wholesome,
healthy family meals, and the reading of all the books I haven’t got round to
reading yet.
All
was on course until around 11 am on January 1st, when the electricity
went off. It hadn’t actually been on
that long as we had been almost two weeks without it, but this time it
seriously drained me of any resolve.
Of course, I did not need electricity for anything I had planned, unless you include following a yoga schedule on YouTube or using my laptop to ‘write’ on. However, there is something about a power cut that really does drain the environment of energy or purpose. So much time is wasted making another plan, which in our case, as we don’t have a generator or solar, is also very tiring. Time that had been allocated to reading and writing and twisting myself up into all sorts of yogic shapes, was now spent boiling water on the braai (barbecue), taking food to friends’ houses so they could keep it in their freezers, handwashing clothes and shopping every day for things like milk and pet food.
I
found it was not just this added physical burden that made life difficult, but
it was also the fact that, ironically, so much energy was focused on the
problem, that everything else seemed even more difficult to do. The very things I needed to be doing in order
to escape the power cut cloud, seemed difficult to concentrate on. Days seemed
to pass without me having achieved very much at all.
And
it’s not over. After a week of being one
phase down (so no lights) we have been without any power at all for six days
and it is certainly not going to be restored this weekend. It’s a big cut this
time as 1600 metres of cabling has been stolen in my neighbourhood. This kind
of theft could only be carried out by people who know what they are doing, have
the equipment with which to do it, the right vehicle to transport the cabling,
and the means and connections by which to sell it on. There is really no doubt
at all the power supply company, ZETDC, or at least a number of its employees, must
be involved.
Our
local whatsapp chat group is full of interesting bits of information, such as a
security guard at a house seeing a ZETDC truck with no number plates parked on
the road one night at 10 pm. When
approached, it apparently drove off. Someone else saw a ‘ZETDC-looking’ truck with
an extendable ladder on the back leaving Hillside at 5am. Another contributor
suggested police complicity as they don’t turn up when alerted to the fact that
cable theft is underway. ZETDC’s rather farcical response to allegations that
they are complicit in the thefts is that the real thieves are so wealthy that
they have gone to the extent of buying the same trucks that ZETDC has and
printing their logo on them.
The
upside of this electricity debacle is that it has given me much food for
thought. After writing All Come To Dust,
I didn’t feel inclined to write another crime novel, but since then I have
discovered that crime is an excellent way to explore the moral decay at the
heart of Zimbabwean society.
One
of the suggestions put forward by a member of the community is that we hire a
private investigator to find out what is really going on. When I read this, I really wanted to wave my
hand in the air and say, ‘I’ll do it! I’ll do it!’ Some people fantasize about being a paramedic
or a marine; my fantasy is of being a PI.
However, sadly I don’t think I would quite blend into the background if I
posed as a ZETDC employee, or even if I crept out at night and watched the
comings and goings on the road. The next best thing is to be a writer and
create my own private investigator who will go forth and, maybe not put things
right, but at least join the dots. And
there are lots of dots in Zimbabwe.
Well you definitely have some of the Christie in you Poirot Marple beware
ReplyDelete